Saturday 29 March 2014

Paris is Always a Good Idea!

Notre Dame Cathedral
I somehow developed a fascination with the Louvre and the Chateau de Versailles when I was growing up. The reasons for the fascination escapes me, but I remember telling my mother I was going to visit them. My first trip to Europe included Paris and both places were on my agenda. I'm sure my husband was not expecting to spend 2 days at the Louvre, nor to be back several times since. My next visit is little more than 6 weeks away.  It's a 2.5 day stop over enroute to Sicily for the biennial girls trip. Time to order my Paris Museum Pass. I'm not going to debate it's value, except to say, I don't do lines.  I plan to enjoy every minute of my time. 

I think Paris will make an excellent prelude to Sicily. I can visit museums, indulge in French food, pastries, fine wine, and get accustomed to being on my feet for 10-12 hours a day and not on a golf course! I am actually considering something different, taking a Paris Night Photography Tour. We did a Photography Tour in Venice and loved it. 





Basilica of Sacré-Coeur 
This will be a solo visit and after the pickpocket incident last summer, my husband doesn't want to visit Paris any time soon. When one travels several times a year, sooner or later an incident of some sort will happen and in Paris pickpocketing is a profession. Our story was one of 90% vigilance with a minor lapse, stealthy fingers and the ideal set-up. When we exited the metro on a visit to Montmartre and Sacré-Coeur, his first comment was "take care as this is the ideal place for pickpockets". No kidding, there was no visible security, lots of tourists and just as many professional thieves of all types. The metro was basically empty with no one standing behind us while we waited at Anvers Station. Upon entered the car, my husband got separated from me and boxed in by 2 men who got on as the all clear signal sounded. I tried to get his attention but they would not move and were talked very loudly drowning out my warnings to him.  When I got his attention, we were at the next station (Pigalle) and all three jumped off (including the one who had been seated with a walking cast and crutches and who was obviously part of this gang). They got his wallet out of a front pocket that had a zipper closure; getting away with some euros, his ID and credit cards. This is where the story should have ended; but as we made our way back to the hotel, two young girls (8-10) with an adult handler tried to pickpocket him as we watched in total disbelief. The Metro was not crowded and I now suspect at least half the passengers were professionals. So take heed, vigilance is always required. Adding insult to injured pride, my travel lens broke making the visit to Montmartre an expensive one. The good news was the credit cards were cancelled within 20-25 minutes of being taken as we had photocopies of them back at the hotel. The passports as well as my credit cards were in the hotel safe.  The hotel advised us that Blanche, Pigalle and Anvers stations on the Blue line 2 were notorious for pickpockets.  We were lighter in pocket but wiser (at least I hope so).    

Château de Versailles
I have bought a security handbag as an added precaution and off I go. I can safely say a visit to the Louvre is definitely on the agenda, I need to visit some of my favourites (and no the Mona Lisa is not one of them). Who knows, maybe it's time for a return visit to Versailles but with a 2.5 days visit, there is only time for a taste. Add in a few favourite sites such as Notre Dame, Rodin Museum, Museum D'Orsay, the Paris bridges, the Eiffel tower at night and the time will fly. The wiser and more cautious me still thinks that Paris is always a good idea!
Place du Panthéon
Institut de France
Eiffel Tower At Sunset
Les Invalides
Place de l'Hôtel de Ville
More of my photos of Paris can be found at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21108304@N02/sets/72157603265823104/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Sam, I am.